Monday, January 31, 2011

Herschel could put aside MMA for a return to the NFL

Don't tell Herschel Walker he's being ridiculous. The former NFL running back probably won't be swayed. He put together a borderline Hall of Fame career in the NFL without lifting a weight. Then he turned to an Olympic quest at age 29 and made a U.S. two-man bobsled team in the 1992 Olympics. His latest endeavor is a career in mixed martial arts. Now in typical Walker fashion, he said he's not done. His next dream is to return to the NFL when he's 50.

"I tell people I may even try out for football again and show people I can do that. I'd be the George Foreman of football and come back and do that one more time," Walker, 48, said on a conference call.

As he preps for his second career pro MMA fight, this weekend in San Jose against Scott Carson, Walker still believes he could clash helmets with athletes who may be 25 years younger than him. 

"There is a 100 percent guarantee that today I could help a football team out," said Walker.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal pointed out that Walker claims he can still run with the best athletes in the world:

Walker said he was clocked at a mind-boggling 4.38 in the 40-yard dash after his MMA debut last year and that his time right now would certainly be sub-4.5.

The 1982 Heisman Trophy winner said it's just a matter of fitting a football comeback into his schedule.

"If I can fit it in my schedule, yes I would do it," he said. "I 100 percent guarantee today I could help a football team out."

Pretty strange, right? It's par for the course with Walker, who has a ripped body in his late 40s in spite of a diet that would make most doctors cringe.

"Most every nutritionist in the world has told me 'You can't do that. You can't do that.' And my thing is 'Guys, I've been doing this for over 20-something years," Walker said. "It's not something that I just started doing because I've was turning into an MMA fighter. I was doing it when I was playing football. And it works for me. I'm not going to say it's going to work for everyone else."

Walker said his NFL teams of choice would be the Minnesota Vikings or Atlanta Falcons. Since Walker's not dispensing advice to others, maybe we should all stop telling the legend to cross another sports hurdle in the future. 

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Herschel-could-put-aside-MMA-for-a-return-to-the?urn=mma-312349

Keith Greene GEICO Toyota Ralph Dale Earnhardt Sr AMP Energy National Guard Chevrolet Cash America Chevrolet Kevin Lepage Hyatt Hans Heyer

No comments:

Post a Comment